An Ordinance amending Article VII of Chapter 13 of the Columbus Code, Solid Waste Collection and Disposal, by changing the monthly residential garbage fee and updating the guidelines for an offset to the residential rate for low-income households; and for other purposes.
THE COUNCIL OF COLUMBUS, GEORGIA HEREBY ORDAINS:
Section 13-169.1 (a) of the Columbus Code of Ordinances is hereby deleted in its entirety and a new Section 13-169.1 (a) is inserted to read as follows:
A charge for the services of collection and disposal of garbage, trash, and other solid waste including yard waste, in Columbus, Georgia for any residential customer requiring such service shall be as follows:
(1) A rate of $17.00 per month for a full cost collection service at the curb or on city right-of-way.
(2) An offset of 25% per month, rounded to the nearest dime, for a low-income household collection service at the curb or on the city right-of-way.
A low income household is one which receives food stamps, aid to families with dependent children or has a total yearly income below the poverty income line guidelines for family units in the United States set by the United States Department of Health and Human Services, or its successor, said guidelines now being set forth presently in the Federal Register, Vol. 81, No. 15, January 25, 2016 (Document no. 2016-01450), pp. 4036-4037 as follows:
SIZE OF FAMILY UNIT POVERTY
For each additional person, add $4,160
Such guidelines will be adjusted annually according to the Federal Register.”
Section 13-169.1 (j) of the Columbus Code of Ordinances is hereby deleted in its entirety and a new Section 13-169.1 (j) is inserted to read as follows:
(j) The fees for collecting branches, limbs and trunks of trees
to be removed from private property by the department of public services are as follows:
(1) An offset of 25 percent as described in
(2)shall be applied to low-income households.
(2) The above rates shall be assessed on the customers water and sewer bill and shown as a separate and distinct item on said bill, and shall be paid in full by the due date as shown on said bill.
(3) Should the aforesaid charge for tree disposal not be paid by said due date, action shall be taken as specified in
(e), (f), and (g).
All ordinances and parts of ordinances in conflict with this ordinance are hereby repealed.
Introduced at a regular meeting of the Council of Columbus, Georgia held on the 7
day of June, 2016; introduced a second time at a regular meeting of said Council held on the 14
day of June, 2016 and adopted at said meeting by the affirmative vote of ________ members of said Council.
Councilor Allen voting
Councilor Baker voting
Councilor Barnes voting
Councilor Davis voting_____________.
Councilor Garrett voting___________.
Councilor Henderson voting
Councilor Huff voting______________.
Councilor Pugh voting______________.
Councilor Thomas voting____________.
Councilor Woodson voting___________.
TINY B. WASHINGTON, CLERK TERESA PIKE TOMLINSON, MAYOR