Agenda Item #___________
Columbus Consolidated Government
Mayor and Council
Agenda Report – Ordinance enacting parking zones, loading zones, and ‘No Parking’ zones in the Uptown Business District.
Approve an ordinance enacting the following:
1. Parking zones with two-hour and four-hour time limits along Bay Avenue, Front Avenue, Broadway, 1st Avenue, 2nd Avenue, 9th Street, 10th Street, 11th Street, 12th Street, 13th Street, and 14th Street;
2. Handicap parking zones with four-hour time limits along the subject streets;
3. Loading zones with 15-minute and 30-minute time limits along the subject streets;
4. ‘No Parking’ zones along the subject streets; and
5. Motorcycle parking zones with two-hour time limits along Broadway.
Various construction projects and streetscape improvements have been completed in the Uptown Business District since the current parking ordinance was enacted. These projects and improvement altered the on-street parking boundaries to an extent that the current ordinance does not accurately define the existing parking boundaries; therefore, the existing regulations are not able to be enforced with certainty. In preparing this revised ordinance, all existing on-street parking spaces were measured along the curb line to the nearest foot and were referenced from the curb lines of the intersecting streets. Designated parking spaces for motorcycles have been established along Broadway in areas that are too small for passenger vehicles, but will accommodate one or two motorcycles. These designated motorcycle spaces should free up more standard parking spaces.
The Traffic Engineering Division believes the revised parking ordinance will clarify the limits of the on-street parking spaces, which will, in turn, enable more consistent enforcement.
Some new parking signs must be installed, particularly along Broadway where the motorcycle parking spaces have been created. The cost of installing these new signs will be derived from the Traffic Engineering operating budget.
All ordinances require the approval of Council.
Approve the ordinance enacting parking zones in the Uptown Business District.